Visas & Asylum

Gainesville FL Visa Attorney | Law Office of Evan D. George

Temporary VISAS (H-1B, student, fiancé, J-1)

Temporary visas (also known as “non-immigrant visas) allow individuals to stay in the United States for limited period of time, usually for business or educational purposes. Visas such as the H-1B (specialty occupation) allow people who are educated in specific fields of study to come to the U.S. for 3-6 years to start a business. F-1 (academic studies), J-1 (practical studies), and M-1 (vocational training) visas allow students to come to the U.S. for specialized training that may not be available in their home countries. Fiancé visas allow an engaged spouse to come to the United States for 90 days in order to get married.

Political Asylum

Asylum provides permanent lawful status to individuals who establish that they have a well-founded fear of persecution on account of their race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group. An individual may seek asylum affirmatively, by submitting an application with the DHS United States Citizenship and Immigration Service, or defensively, if already in removal proceedings (deportation) before an Immigration Judge. While certain exceptions exist, it is essential that an individual apply for asylum within the first year of their arrival into the United States. Asylees may obtain employment authorization, and permission to reenter the country after travel abroad (to any country other than the country of persecution). Asylees are eligible to apply for a green card on the one-year anniversary of their grant of asylum.

VAWA and the U-VISA

Domestic violence is a pattern of abusive used to establish power and control over an individual by the threat or use of violence. If you are subject to abuse you should leave your home immediately. You have a right to file a protection order against your abusive spouse- seek out your local domestic violence shelters for assistance. If you are abused spouse or child of U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible to self-petition for lawful permanent resident status (green card) without the involvement, or knowledge, or your abusive spouse.

Local Domestic Abuse Shelters and Resources: Peaceful Paths Three Rivers Legal Services. If you don’t know what to do or where to turn, contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline website or call them at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or 1-800-787-3224 (TTY).